The natdogs ethos
I am an Animal Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC) Registered Clinical Animal Behaviourist and Animal Training Instructor and a full member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors. I have been working professionally in the companion animal sector since 2006 and have graduated from Southampton University with a Zoology BSc (2:1) and Newcastle University in Applied Animal Behaviour & Welfare PGDip (Distinction).
My aim as a behaviourist and trainer is to provide my clients with the understanding, knowledge and practical skills to confidently identify, manage and reinforce behaviours in order to have a safe and happy life with their dog.
I believe that by focussing on the dog/human relationship and encouraging effective and appropriate communication, we can live with our dogs more successfully.
Methods i use
- Gathering accurate information before we start any behaviour modification.
- Listening, learning, being empathetic and realistic about achievable goals.
- Identifying your dog's wants, likes and needs so that we can use them to reward and reinforce desired behaviours.
- Play, fun & choice.
Methods I don't Use
- Making my clients feel judged, ashamed or useless.
- Deliberate physical/verbal intimidation or force in order to stop or reduce behaviours.
- Equipment that causes pain or fear; shock collars, spray collars, prong collars.
- Putting you or your dog in situations that you have not been given the skills to cope with.
nat's knowledge & skills
In order to give my clients the best experience and to be able to pass on the most recent developments in positive reinforcement training and behaviour counselling and behaviour modification, I regularly attend workshops, talks and seminars to expand my knowledge and skill set.
You can find out more about my academic qualifications and courses that I have attended here.
the legal stuff
- I uphold the standards set out by the Animal Behaviour & Training Council and Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors.
- I hold full public liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- I have a full DBS check .
- I am both a qualified human and canine first aider.
- Depending on your policy, you can claim my fees back from your insurance company.
- All fees are payable in advance of the training or behaviour session. Fees are non-refundable except under extenuating circumstances. Please give 48-hours’ notice if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment. Appointments can only be rescheduled once before the full charge will apply.
- As a client of Natdogs, you will be asked to refrain from using equipment, methods or behaviour deemed aversive and inappropriate. Failure to do so may result in the client/behaviourist relationship being terminated and you may be asked to leave.